Thursday 7 August 2008

Rainy season

This year the rainy season starts early. Normally it starts in July, but this year it starts to rain in May. Coming from Malaysia and so used to torrential rain, I was a bit surprised with the rain in Sudan.

When I first heard the pattering of the rain (and being curious), I opened the back door. I thought it was sandstorm because of the wind but in amazement I told my husband, "it's water". My husband laughed and said, "what do you expect, it's raining". It's nothing like the rain that I'm used to. Even rain in England has more 'character'...hehehe. It's just like big droplets of water, but quite sparse... And it doesn't last. After about half an hour, it stopped.

But it did leave its mark. The next morning, I could see the 'leftover' red dust courtesy of the rain at the verandah. There's also potholes in front of our building. Because Sudan is very dry and seldom see rain, the soil is hardened enough not to be able to absorb the rain water. So, we are left with potholes everywhere. As I mentioned before, most roads in Khartoum are dirt roads and after it rains, we'll have a 'camel trophy' kind of ride in the van...

Living in Sudan is definitely not for the faint hearted but the good news is you'll be able to appreciate your own country more...


No comments: