Monday 15 February 2010

Egypt : Faiyoum...

Faiyoum. A place of contrasts. A fertile land in the middle of the desert. Lakes, orchards in the middle of barren land. I find it very interesting. Throughout the journey around Faiyoum, I was captivated by the scenery.

We were told that Faiyoum became fertile during Nabi Yusof Era. He was challenged by the Pharoah to make the desert land fertile for agriculture. He did that within a few years (with Allah's help of course) and impressed the pharoah greatly. He was known to built watermills to help irrigate the desert until it became fertile enough to be used as agricultural land until today.

Around Faiyoum, I saw many fruit orchards, farms etc. I saw cabbages, grape vines (not in season), dates and the most prominent was the olives trees. Enjoy the pictures!

Grape vines...

Vegetables...

Wheat probably...

Dates...

Olives...

Olives...

Hmm... I've forgotten the name...hehehe

No comments: