Thursday 5 June 2008

Sightseeing in Khartoum

When I first came to Khartoum, I was so eager to see the city. Well, it is the place where the blue Nile meets the white Nile afterall. But, I had to wait a week to see it. It was okay, but the road (or lack of it scared me...). The first trip was the most fun as I couldn't stop myself from 'mengucap' everytime we're on the road. It's a right hand side drive. This is a bit confusing for me plus the fact that the main roads are still under construction. "Now you see it, now you don't" kind of thing. It's very difficult to explain.

There is no such thing as a 'proper' traffic light. There are honking noises everywhere and the drivers are just plain terrible. No such thing as courtesy on the road. Even though I've seen ladies driving here, no way I'm going to sit infront of a steering wheel. I think I have to post a picture for you to believe it. There's all kinds of vehicles on the road, including donkey carts. Since Hadi is a big fan of animals, we had fun 'spotting' the donkey carts.

The only tarred road they have are on the highways or main roads, otherwise it's all dirt roads. Luckily, it doesn't rain that often, if not the road would be terrible. Anyway, I've seen the Nile, it's gorgeous. We could see that the land along the Nile is very fertile, full of vegetations (fruits and vegetable farms). The tomatoes here are delicious, sweet and fresh.

At first I wanted to go and see the oldest pyramid in the world (yes, the Sudanese were the ones building the pyramids in Egypt) but since it's summer, we'll just be frying our brains out if we go now. I've been as far as Omdurman, but I'll write about it in the next post.

1 comment:

CubaTryTest said...

so it doesn't mean that our Malaysian drivers were the worst driver after all hehehe...