Saturday 12 July 2008

Bad news...and more bad news...

I would like to share several bad news with everyone. The first bad news is about the fact that once we're in the new Petronas Complex, we have to pay for the electricity. Why this is bad? Because electricity here is very expensive! If I'm not mistaken it could be more than two hundred US dollars per month. Ouch! And the fact that the country is so hot that we could not afford to let the 'hot, hot' air in...

I was so happy because I thought that once we move, we would not be spending so much money on internet prepaid (as we are doing now) and the internet connection is definitely faster. But now, it seems that we will be spending more for the electricity...sigh...

The second bad news is about the date of the move. It was supposed to be on the 15th of August, but when we went to the Petronas Complex a few hours ago, all is not well. There were scaffolding everywhere, especially my block. The lift was not working and can you believe it or not, some apartments were without windows, let alone furniture...Horror of all horrors...I think we have to postpone the move to a later date, but hopefully by September because it will be Ramadhan soon...sigh...another headache...

And finally the last but not least kind of news...My husband's ocola (overseas allowance) is being reduced. The whole Petronas community is talking about it now. We are still not very clear of how much it's going to set us back, but it is definitely bad news. I think most of the engineers are looking for other jobs right now and I think Petronas is definitely stupid by doing that because since the pay is considerably lower if compared to other oil companies, it is inviting massive crossover to other companies, like Aramco which is waiting for something like this to happen. Well, we will definitely start surfing Aramco's website, looking for other opportunities...sigh...If the money is being used to raise the overall wage of Petronas staff, I don't really mind. But if it's going to be used for other goverment expenses...I do mind.

Uprooting one's family to live in a war torn country where everything is so expensive... the simple pleasure of going anywhere we wanted is restricted...etc...sigh...

Oh yes, another bad news...we have received information that there is a possibility of another skirmish in Khartoum...so, I'll be packing our stuff again...the uncertainty of living in this country is making my head spin...
sigh...

6 comments:

nora muhammad said...

sorry to hear wat had happened/wat's been happening.

anyway, "uprooting"? reminds me of the day when the dentist "uprooted" my tooth. wat's worse was that there's nothing wrong with my tooth. and i had to pay RM125 for it (cheap la if compared to KL price) and had to suffer for some stupid and expensive mistake - by a moron!

Ina said...

Talking about dentist, I thought of going to the dentist here but was advised against it by many friends...hehehe..One was like in your case, 'mistaken' tooth, and in another case, instead of taking out the rotten tooth was given a scaling instead...hehehe...so, i'll have to wait for december to see the professionals in the medical profession..hehehe

Fizs Rashid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fizs Rashid said...

hi ina... came across ur blog as i typed 'petronas wife'. yes u guessed rite, i've been a wife to my carigali drilling eng. hubby for 4 months now and boy has it been anything but easy... in terms of him working offshore on a 28days rotation lah. this time around it'll get harder coz he'll be leaving 4 uzbek next month, and he's now still in kerteh... easy to say, i will only get 2 see him 2 days this month. ain't dat great. anyhow, it's very relieving finding ppl like u around. i hope we can have a chat sumtime. my ym: mizz_ssy@yahoo.com, facebook: hafizah rashid, friendster: hafizah rashid. add me ya!!!

Ina said...

Dear fizah, yep, it's not easy being a 'petronas wife', my first two kids hardly know their dad. that's why i took the 3 year leave (without pay) when he was posted to Sudan. at least now my 2 year old boy would recognise the father...hehehe. FYI, I've been married nearly 11 years. Welcome to the club :)

Unknown said...

Hi Ina, I finally made to your blog. I am still pursuing my mission as discussed earlier with some success :-)
Take care and hang in there.