Friday 25 July 2008

Electricity supply in Sudan

As I mentioned in earlier postings, electricity supply in Sudan is definitely expensive. Probably those who can afford it are the rich and the expats. When I first came to Khartoum, I was a bit apprehensive when the electricity supply was cut off sometime in the morning. Luckily, Kak Rehana (a neighbour) assured me that it is normal. Huh?!! But, it's true, it is normal that in a course of a day, we'll have several power cuts.

It's not actually power cuts, it's just that there's no power supply and there'll be a black out! That's also why there's a big generator at every building, including our block. So whenever there's a black out, the generator will kick in after a few minutes. It happens so often that at first it drives me crazy.

Can you imagine, if the washing machine is on, it would stop the cycle immediately and you have to start all over again. Sometimes, it's very inconvenient to say the least. During the JEM attack, it was worse. It's like chipsmore, now you have, now you don't kind of thing...hehehe. The kids used to scream whenever there's a black out, but now they're such a pro that if there's a black out, they'll just stay put until the lights is on again. It's just something that we have to get used to. It's just a fact of life that in Sudan, the electricity supply is unreliable.

Oh yes, another thing about the electricity supply... Each electrical appliance will give out static shocks...hehehe... it's true, even while I'm typing this post, I could feel the static from the lap top, I have learnt to avoid touching the side of the lap top because the static is worse there. Sometimes, Amir would get static shocks when he tried to disturb me...hehehe. Sometimes, touching the freezer or the washing machine could make your fingers numb for a little while. I guess that's a part and parcel of the 'perks' staying in this country...hehehe

1 comment:

RozIlah Kamarudin said...

Salaam Ina, Ramadhan Kareem. I am Olie living in Alex Egypt. I used to work for PCSB too. Unfortunately I tak kenal yr husband but I do not the "older" PCSB there...

Come and visit me and my blog. Kak Olie tgh collect blog Mak Melayu Merantau nih...