Wednesday 16 July 2008

My first 'karipap'

Yehoo! After more than 35 years on earth, I managed to make my first ever karipap today...Hehehe...Above, Aliah's posing with the unfinished karipap. She volunteered to help as it is her favourite savoury. Why after all these years? The answer is because before this, i've always managed to get karipap easily. My old neighbour, Kak Arah always gave us a plate whenever she made some...hehehe, otherwise I could get it easily from stalls and shops.

Why today? because my supply of frozen karipap is nearly over. I panicked last week when I discovered that I have only 2 packets left...uhuk, uhuk... So, today I decided that it's now or never. Did the filling first and when it tasted like the 'real' karipap, there was no looking back... To make the dough is a totally different matter entirely, though...I used the ERT recipe, but since my planta supply's also finished, I used butter. Somebody told me to rub the butter into the flour like making a crumble and later add iced water. So, I did just that...

And it works...hehehe...the other problem is that I don't have a rolling pin...If you look closely, there's a green plastic glass...that's my rolling pin! It's not that bad, but without a proper rolling pin, the dough's not that thin. My next problem is the sides, how to 'klim'? I honestly do not know how to do it. That's where Aliah comes in. She used the fork to press the sides together, and we had fun...lot's of giggling and shooing Amir out of the kitchen...hehehe...

Anyway, at first I wanted to give some to the neighbours but when we finished, we ended up with only 21 karipaps...plus the fact that I wasn't sure what it taste like and some were really mishapen...I decided to keep them in our family...hehehe. We had to wait for my husband to come home before taking the first bite...Man, it was lovely...Some were a bit thick but the taste was there. It was all gone in a matter of minutes...Amir liked it, well, he would eat anything, really...

This is definitely not going to be my last attemp at making karipap...hehehe...


5 comments:

nora muhammad said...

use a bottle to roll the dough

Ina said...

Nora,

Bottle? What kind of bottle? Kalo aku guna botol air coke tu cam besar sangat...how?

CubaTryTest said...

terer aliah dpt idea to 'klim' the karipap....heheheh....miss her a lot....huhuhu..

sha said...

waooo...fantastic...Maz, cayalah ko berjaya masak karipap...balik msia bolehlah supply frozen karipap...hehe..later aku mail kat ko resepi chicken blackpepper karipap....

Ina said...

Sha,
Ko bagi je la resepi apa2 pun, kalo ada bahan aku akan try, dah muak asyik makan bende yang sama aje... especially menu untuk budak2 ni, yang tak pedas la...tq in advance. :)