Saturday 26 July 2008

Water supply in Sudan

Unlike electricity, water is practically free, it's very cheap. I don't know why it's called 'hard' water, probably because like coke, it can scrape your insides...hehehe...just kidding, but we are definitely scared enough not to drink it raw. We are lucky because the previous occupant left their water filter behind.

For drinking and cooking purposes, I have to boil the filtered water first or use mineral water. At first I just boiled the filtered water, but after discovering mineral deposits at the bottom of the jug, I've opted for mineral water instead, especially to make milk for Amir. Alhamdulillah, since we came, there's only one incidence of stomach ache for Amir.

Another main use for water is definitely for washing our clothes. I've learnt my lesson the hard way, no more washing colours separately for me...why? Because whites would never remain whites again... hehehe, the water tend to leave 'marks' on whites (I think on all clothes, but it's just more obvious on whites). And no amount of bleach can help remove it. Using 'vanish' is also futile. The water here can make new clothes look jaded by the second wash. I can attest for the mineral deposits in the water because every few days, my washing machine would get clogged with sand and even small stones. I've become quite the handyman...hehehe...I've also found another use of a toothbrush, as a 'declogger' tool!

To make my life less miserable (for the duration of our stay here), I have decided to buy only coloured clothes for the family. That is what I call 'adapting' to the way of life here.

3 comments:

nora muhammad said...

pity you...seems like you've quite an adventure over there...

Ina said...

Nora,

It helps not to have a very high expectation before coming here. Actually, I imagined it to be worse...hehehe.

nora muhammad said...

if i were to be posted to sudan i would be crying in tears n create a drama but to be posted somewhere in Europe would be nice hehehe