Monday 20 April 2009

Petronita Birthday Bash : December-January

Since last year, Petronita Sudan has arranged and managed birthday events for the Petronas kids below 17. The cost of living in Khartoum, as mentioned in my earlier posts, is quite high. So by celebrating the birthdays of our kids together, we can also share the cost. Petronita do subsidise a little bit, but the bulk of the budget comes from contributions from parents. 

On 30th of January, we had the Birthday Bash for December and January kids in the Multi-Purpose Hall (MPH). This time round, the cakes were prepared by Mas and Kak Zila. The birthday boy or girl received a special small cake each with their names on it, while the rest got moist choc. cupcakes. 

Kak Faridah, Aiza and me prepared the tele-match for all the kids. So, when I arrived at MPH, I was a little bit surprised that I was to be the MC as well as handling the tele-match. By 'handling', I mean the shouting part...hehehe. Lucky I was trained to be a 'shouter', ooops a 'teacher'...hehehe

Anyway, shouting and trying to control a crowd of 100 plus kids was not easy. But the kids enjoyed it. We had 'running in boxes', longest straw and broken telephone for the bigger kids and poison box for the smaller kids. For the teenagers we had a game of 'finding your group'.

The worst game ever was the broken telephone because the message was too long and too comlplicated (I didn't prepare the message, ok!!). Plus the fact that it was in BM made Aliah cried... Pity my daughter. The message was always broken in the middle. That was really challenging and next time, we'll know how to improve the games, insyaallah.

After the games, we had the presentation ceremony, cutting the cake and then, eat! Enjoy the pictures... I didn't get the pictures during the games because I was too busy.
  
Najwa decorated the cake...

Kesian Kak Jaz...

The tables, laden with food...

Najwa decorating the 'personal' cakes for birthday boys and girls!

Special cakes!

Kak Faridah 'swarmed' by kids eager to participate...

The presents...

The participants...

Aliah enjoying herself...

Passing 'poison' box...

The cake-cutting ceremony...

I forgot to mention that since we had so many groups for the tele-match, we had to use some form of identifications for the kids. We came up with a variety of ribbons for the groups (diff. colours and materials)...hehehe, some got real ribbons while others got tali rafia. I had to cut a black ribbon from one of my blouses for one group...hehehe. That shows how many groups we had!!! But it was fun...

No comments: