Tuesday 11 November 2008

My social calendar...

When I first came to Khartoum, I managed to live a life of a recluse. I hardly ventured out the door. Sometimes, I didn't come out for weeks on ends, preferring to stay indoors. Most of the time, my husband had to do the grocery shopping alone. It was summer and most of the Malaysian community went back for their summer holidays. So, I read and read to my heart's content.

Now, I have a 'social calendar'... hehehe. Since moving into the Petronas Complex, I'm busy with activities organised by Petronita. Most of the activities are held in the compound itself, so I do not have a 'suitable' excuse to abstein...hehehe. At first, we kept mostly to ourselves, but during syawal, the ladies just 'clicked'. I think the most important ingredient of our friendship would be food, lots and lots of food... I do belief that all those open-houses did the 'binding' especially for Block A ladies.

Now we have added 'cooking' and 'shopping' to the equation... lots and lots of shopping... a couple of cooking lessons and again, lots and lots of food...hehehe... I am not complaining of the wonderful company but I just realised that with the outburst of activities, I have neglected my books. I read a box full of books in the 5 months in Block G, but only managed 2 or 3 in the 3 months I'm at the new complex...sigh...

Today, I've opted not to go to the souk with the others because I think I need peace and quiet for a few days... Actually, I'm saving money to go to Souk Libya on the 17th...hehehe... Anyway, I'll share my 'social calendar' with you...

This is the 'social calendar' prepared by Syikeen... up until summer 2009...

This is a close-up version... full, huh?!!... that doesn't include all the shopping and eating excursions...hehehe

I am truly glad of the company and everyone's on neutral ground here. We're all missing Malaysia but trying to have fun so that we'll be able to take better care of our families... (a note to my husband, 'you have a few days to change that currency, ok?')...hehehe


7 comments:

nora muhammad said...

amboi....ni mmg betul2 social calendar ni hehehe

Ina said...

Nora,

hehehe...literally... Kadang2 siap tak ingat duduk kat Sudan, rasa cam kat Malaysia.

Fasri said...

Supplier dah run out of SDG. Have to buy USD...

Balik malaya nie tak leh beli h/p biasa. Have to buy PDA.. u hv more meetings than I have in one week!!

Ina said...

Dear husband,

Tak kisah la phone apa...janji free... heheh... Anyway, I've survived without a handphone for 8 months already, so another few weeks won't kill me... Although Pn. Taha did call me 'kampung' because I don't have a hp. Hmmm, I am still proud to be a kampung girl, though...

Amina fi Amrika said...

Sister,
I do so enjoy reading your blogs,

A social calendar? In Khartoum? Subhanallah!

I was in Kharotoum all summer '08 and oh I would have given anything to connect with someone who was going through the same shock and dismay that I was. I felt so totally alone.

I wasn't in anyone's Amaraat though.

My husband stayed there and I returned to the US with the kids. I need to decide whether I will return to live there or not. Would you mind communicating with me off blog at kalaka911@gmail? I have lots of questions!

Abdul Rahman said...

ina

aku rasa kau kat sana sini sama jer hehe...
ada jer kerja nak kena buat heee...

Ina said...

Dear Amina,

I've been trying to send an email to you, couldn't get through... write to me at mazlinaaris@yahoo.com...

Dear Man,

giler2 busy sampai aku pun pening kepala...hehehe