Wednesday 19 November 2008

Sewing class : the basics

Last Tuesday (18th Nov), I went to the first sewing class. Even my husband raised his eyebrows when I told him about my plan to join the class in the first place... hehehe... For your information, I hardly ever sew anything... In Malaysia, any torn shirts or pants would either be put in the closet to 'rest' forever or thrown in the bin. I could only sew on buttons (there's no style whatsoever, as long as it stays on... hehehe).

Then, in Tasik Puteri I discovered 'Mama Jarum', so anything to do with needles, I would send it to her. (Mama Jarum's the name of a tailor shop). Needless to say, in Khartoum, I have to sew myself. Luckily, so far I only use my lack of skill to sew Hadi's buttons.

When Syikeen came up with the timetable, I was a bit reluctant to join. But, I decided that why not?!! At least I can improve my knowledge... I'm going to the class as a novice and hoping to learn a few tricks of the trade.

True enough, not many attend the sewing class, there were only about 10 of us. But, I did have fun learning the basics of sewing. Najwa showed a sample of the basics, such as 'jelujur', 'kia' (I thought kia is a korean made cars... hehehe), 'chain' and another one which for the life of me, couldn't recall at this point in time.

We were supposed to make a pouch and everything's provided by Najwa (the needles and all the colourful threads). I am sorry because I did not have the camera with me on that day, if not I would have shared the many wonderful and hilarious acts we did. Who says sewing's not fun?!! We laughed at the inability of some people (including me) to put the thread in the needle. Ila was nearly blinded with a needle... some sew the materials together and some sew it to their own pants...hehehe... Some even showing off their skills (Kak Siti, Kak Jaz and Kak Hanum were a pro).

Personally, I was glad that I joined the sewing class. Even though I know nothing about sewing, I managed to try 'kia' ,'chain' and 'sulam penuh'...hehehe. Najwa even said that my 'kia' was very good. I'm so proud of myself. Chuffed actually...hehehe. I was also not intimidated by the pros because they would help you with your sewing if you're in a rut, which happens often... while concentrating, I forgot how to make the next chain for example... I'd never imagine that I'd ever sew but I realised that living in Khartoum made me more open to try new things. I feel that I'm the better for the experience. Just look at my handiwork...

Pink is 'kia', purple's 'chain' and green the combination of 'kia' and 'sulam penuh'...

The 'chain''s not so even... and there should be flowers with the vines but I was really slow...hehehe... next time, huh?!!

2 comments:

nora muhammad said...

that's very nice ina...

Ina said...

Dear Nora,

I really liked sewing...heheh, but not as much as like learning about new recipes... hehehe...