Monday 11 January 2010

Egypt : Rugs at Khan Khalili...

After lunch, we went to Khan Khalili market. I have something particular in mind actually, so I didn't really look around. When Kak Maria went to Egypt, she brought back very nice rugs made from camel hair. So, since I loved the design, I vowed to find the shop. She even gave me the shop's card.

First, I went to the first shop on the right as soon as you enter Khan Khalili (near the barricade). The shop had beautiful handmade carpets (which cost thousands) and rugs made from wool. We didn't buy any of course...hehehe. Luckily we went in the shop because Hadi suddenly felt like 'going' and we used the toilet there...sigh.

Very beautiful...

Rugs...

Very expensive...

Other designs...

My family...

Then, I walked further in and when you see a shop selling rugs and pillow cases among other things (on your right), I showed them the card, and Yaser was there. He then asked us to follow him to another small shop at the back. This's where they sell the beautiful rugs. Actually I've already promised my Block that I'll buy some for the farewell gifts but unfortunately, there were not many choices when I went there.

Khaled, the owner, was very friendly. I bought about 5 pieces (3 for Block A). I also bought one cushion cover depicting the tulip flower which is famous in Egypt. I felt that I paid quite a lot for the rugs, what to do... I'm really bad at bargaining. Truly hopeless...hehehe. But, I was satisfied with the designs.

We made our way home soon after that. I bought some papyrus bookmarks for souvenirs which was really cheap. I didn't even dwell in other shops because I knew I had another day in Khan Khalili. Looking back, I wish I shopped for more stuff then...sigh.

The cushion covers...

Beautiful designs...

They were quite expensive...

The camel hair rug in the middle...

I'm holding one of the rugs...

It's like a quilt...

While waiting for Afzan to pick us up... Amir sleeping, of course...

The card for the shop... it's worth going :)

No comments: